Life Solutions LLC is now part of Waypoint Counseling Services.
- Assisting clients in improving the overall quality of living through empathetic listening, education, social skills training, and professional trauma treatment.
- Commiting to use only the most effective evidence-based tools and techniques to stay on the edge of exploration and discovery of human potential.
- Offering comprehensive and culturally-specific assessments and professional counseling service
Heleen Woest, MA, LPC, NCC Licensed Professional Counselor
Certified in Trauma & EMDR
Philosophy and Approach:
I enjoy working with clients from different ages, worldviews, cultures, orientations, and walks of life.
It is never easy to share our feelings and struggles with a stranger, so I work hard to create a safe environment where clients can heal from past pain, while moving towards the future they envision for themselves.
I work mainly with individuals who need help healing from:
- Trauma (distressing events that fall beyond the scope of normal human experiences such as a natural disaster, sexual assault, or an accident)
- Complex trauma (distressing events that occur repeatedly and cumulatively, usually over a period of time and within specific relationships, such as childhood abuse or domestic violence.)
Most of my clients experience debilitating symptoms such as depression, anxiety, nightmares, emotional flashbacks, toxic shame, insomnia, somatic symptoms, sexual difficulties, social anxiety, relational difficulties, and a vicious inner critic.
Collaborating with clients to create unique and holistic treatment plans for their specific needs is something I really enjoy. We work together to integrate the client’s strengths, personality, and creativity with evidence-based treatments for trauma such as Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing Therapy (EMDR), Internal Family Systems (IFS), Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TF-CBT), Emotional Focused Therapy (EFT), and Mindfulness.
Formal Training and Experience
I am a Licensed Professional Counseling with the State of Oregon (# C6173)
My education includes:
- Masters of Arts in Counseling from Western Seminary in Portland Oregon
- Bachelors in Law from the University of South Africa (UNISA).
- Certification in Traumatic Stress Studies through the Trauma Research Foundation.
- EMDRIA (EMDR International Association) certification as an EMDR therapist.
- Certification through the Domestic Violence Resource Center as an Oregon State Victim’s Advocate
I gained experience in assisting victims of domestic violence and abuse when I worked at the Domestic Violence Resource Center in Beaverton.
UGM Life Change Program for Men and Women in Portland equipped me with hands-on training in suicide assessment and working with individuals who deal with substance abuse, homelessness, and chronic mental illness.
Before starting my professional career, I worked for about eighteen years in the field of lay counseling and facilitated support and therapy groups for individuals struggling with eating disorders and food addiction. I created an online course for women and moms with food struggles in 2008 and published a faith-based workbook and video series in 2012 to be used in women’s recovery groups.
Payment for Services:
My fee is $175 for a clinical hour (50 minutes). Payment is made up front for each session online via the client portal or in office via check or credit card. Currently, I do not accept insurance, however I am able to provide receipts for you to submit to your insurance company for out-of-network reimbursement. Limited sliding scale options are available based on need and availability. All appointments will be charged as stated above unless cancellation is made with a 24-hour notice of your scheduled appointment or there has been an agreed upon emergency related to cancellation.
I grew up in South Africa and immigrated to the USA with my family over two decades ago. This experience caused me to be culturally sensitive and to relate to the difficulties many people face in “being different” or adapting to a new country, language, and culture. During my free time I enjoy spending time with my husband, entertaining family and friends, and spoiling my four children and their significant others. My hobbies are playing piano, hiking, taking road trips, reading historical fiction, and painting with oils.
Areas of Experience and Interest
- PTSD and CPTSD
- Surgical trauma
- Sexual trauma and abuse